Friday, June 29, 2007

The Joys of Teaching 1

It's been my first week at work -- The Uncle Sam American School. There's some ironies here: the first being, USAS us neither run by nor operated by Americans. On the teaching staff/faculty there are only three Americans. The rest are Chinese (Taiwanese). Regardless of said ironies, it has been an enjoyable week. I spent Monday - Wednesday observing varying classes, teaching styles, and games like Pronoun Pants (by Chad pictured here).

On Thursday I taught my first couple of classes. It wasn't as daunting as I expected. A lot of the kids I knew from observing and they were already warmed-up for me. Friday was a full day of teaching. The time really flies, especially since most of these kids aren't older than say, 3rd Grade. That said, it's the pre-schoolers that really work me over. I'm always the most tired and sweaty after teaching them (okay, it's more like playing).

At this point I need to tell you that pictures of the kids will come soon. So sit tight! For now, enjoy the pictures of some of my co-workers. We're a fun bunch. We're a couple of Americans and two South Africans -- but they don't count because they're heading out after this week.

No comments: