Monday, July 2, 2007

Shilin Night Market



Ever since I got here -- nay, before I even left the States -- I've been hearing all about Taipei's Night Markets. For those of you unsure as to what a 'Night Market' is, well, it's exactly what it sounds like: A market at night. But it goes much further than that. By many accounts, the Shilin Night Market is the biggest and best in Taipei. So my thought, why not make that the first one to go to? The Shilin Night Market is as follows:
One Part Carnival complete with games for the adults and kids.
Two Parts Food randing from various meats on skewers to Watermelon Juice Smoothie. (It should be noted that some of the best food to be had in Taipei can be found here)
Equal Parts People and Merchandise Stalls --- and there's many of them! It was veritable sea of humanity. You had vendors shouting out their latest wares, shoppers haggling over prices (always a good time). Much of the merchandise to be bought were of a clothing variety and there was much to choose from.

All in all, I felt pretty drained afterwards, but it was fun to feel the rapid energy of this part of the city.

4 comments:

Erica said...

you are so descriptive it makes me want to get on a plane right now and fly to taipei to experience the market. =)

Judy Neil said...

hey I saw your post on thenewawesome that you were in Taipei. I'm jealous. I was actually born there(army brat) and then visited again when I was like 12, but man has it ever changed. It looks incredible.

joyful. said...

comment. told you i'd leave one when i felt inspired.

and it's pretty sweet that i can say "i was there."

Thomas 24 said...

Maybe Erica will try shrimp there. Book that fly!