Tuesday, September 4, 2007

We have it all wrong!

Dear readers, I've reached a conclusion...in US we need to do away with the current form of currency. Sad, I know, but it's true. The system in Taiwan is pretty great. Their lowest coin is $1 NT, and goes up to $5 NT, $10 NT, and $50 NT. Then it jumps to the bills: $100 NT, $500 NT, and $1000 NT. Everything here costs a nice round dollar amount. No cents to deal with!!!

It hit me the other day when I was teaching my G4 kids about long vowel sounds (specifically /i/). The example in the book was "dime".

"Teacher, what is 'dime'?"

I proceeded to explain to them that you have a dollar, THEN you have cents -- less than a dollar. A dime is worth 10 cents. If you have ten dimes, you have a dollar.

The look in their eyes was something along the lines, "That's the stupidest thing we've ever heard. Silly round-eye."

For anyone who's been to another country that has a currency system that the lowest unit is a dollar (not fractions of), you understand what I'm saying.

2 comments:

Thomas 24 said...

I thought you were inspecting bathrooms!

Hollie said...

One of my favorite things in Australia was seeing a price that was $4.99 when they don't have pennies and they don't have sales tax... Seem odd to anyone else, or is that just me?