Monday, June 23, 2008

Another Summer Concert





I'm not gonna lie, up until the last couple years my concert-going experiences have been few.  Not that I don't like going to concerts, I had just never really been in the loop as to who was playing where and when.  But that's a-changing, my friends!  Last Friday I found myself sitting "on the green" at Shoreline Ampitheater enjoying yet another concert headlined by one of Country Music's greats...

The show kicked off with Julliane Hough.  She's a cute new-comer with a great voice and good presence.  It's hard being the opener. People are rolling in, getting food, buying the shirt of the guy they're going to see later, what have you...not much attention to be had.   Still, I can see she's got potential to go someplace.

Following her was a surprise hit for me, Chuck Wicks.  Just on looks alone, the girls loved him.  I'll concur in a heterosexual way.  He's good looking.  Even better, he's got some great songs.  I
 don't know if he'll blow up, but he'll definitely sell CDs.  

Chuck Wicks definitely started to amp up the energy...only to be sucked out by the vacuum that is Jewel.  I love Jewel.  I know the words to her songs.  I'll sing them in the car if no one's around.  One thing Jewel is not, is a country singer.  She's folk.  She's jazzy with a touch of blues.  Jewel is a great musician, but grossly inappropriate for this concert.

Then the real 
show.  Brad Paisley.  How can you not like the guy?  He's not bad looking.  Great musician.  Hilarious, deep, insightful, meaningful, romantic lyrics...sometimes all at once, usually on a per song basis.  And you have to respect the custom guitars with the paisley printing.   Fun fact:  He's married to the daughter from the movie Father of the Bride.

1 comment:

Erica said...

chuck wicks. loved him! hmmm, hmmm. happy birthday to him.